Sunday, March 10, 2013

Having Hope in Healing

Class this week sort of... took me outside of myself.  When I read that our main topic for the week was going to be dealing with stressors within the family, I very seriously considered skipping class.  My family has gone through some pretty hefty stuff in the last couple of years, and  I justwanted to bury my head in the sand until we were done, as I saw it, drawing things out.  I had taken Stress and Coping class before, and figured I knew what the healthy/unhealthy ways to take care of stress were.  What would there be for me to learn?
Turns out, there was plenty.  And I learned, just not in the way that I was expecting.  It was good for me to hear so many people talk about their problems.  That sounds worse typed out than it sounds in my head.  Sometimes it's refreshing to know that you're not alone, especially when your problems seem so earth shattering.  To see that it's not something so uniquely wrong or broken with your own family is... healthy.
I think if everything could be sunshine and rainbows, that would be fantastic.  But it's not.  Sometimes things are hard, and dark.  But we're not alone in the dark.  There are others out there.  Their hands are searching, seeking, and while we're lost in the dark, looking for our own light, we can find another hand, and at least hold on to that, knowing two people are no longer alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment